The second to worse thing that can happen, involving your air conditioning unit, during a humid and hot Houston, Texas summer is having it breakdown. Then the first worse thing, finding out just how much repairing your AC system will cost.
Feeling your home not is as cool as it usually is, even with the thermostat set as it usually is, and start bringing a small state of panic at the thought of something being wrong.
When your AC unit goes down or is on the fritz, the cost of fixing it once the problem is identified can be a broad range of pricing. It is somewhat safe to say that the average pricing range can be anywhere from $150-$500. Though this is an average, which means that the price can be less or more than this range, or fall right in the range.
If you have major repairs that need to be done to your AC system, that can easily fly up to over $1,000 or more. At this time, your specialist may speak with you on considering replacing your whole system for one around the same cost and is more updated.
Here is a small list of some repairs that are common and a broad price average on how much they can cost to be fixed:
- Replace fuses, circuit breakers or relays: $15-$300
- Thermostat replacement: $60-$250
- Condensate pump replacement: $90-$250
- Capacitor or contractor replacement: $90-$400
- Compressor hard start kit: $100-$250
- Condensing unit fan motor replacement: $100-$300
- Circuit board replacement: $120-$600
- AC refrigerant recharge: $160-$400
- Refrigerant leak detection and repair: $225-$1600
- Evaporator coil replacement: $650-$1200
- Compressor replacement, depending on the size or type needed: $1350-$1800
These are just the costs to repair these items, that does not include the fee that most HVAC specialists will charge to troubleshoot the problem, which ranges from $75-$180.
Here are a few things that could be telling you that your AC unit needs to be repaired:
- Your air conditioner is smelling funny or bad.
- You find water leaking in or around your unit.
- Your air conditioner is not working at all or properly.
- Your air conditioner starts making strange noises.
- Your air conditioner is short cycling, like turning off and on again and again.
- Your air conditioner is running, but there is little to no cool air coming out of your vents or registers.
- You find your air conditioner is iced over.
If any of these are to happen, it is always best to contact your professional HVAC specialist as soon as possible.
Thankfully, there is a way that is pretty effective in preventing and potential repair problems or issues. That is scheduling a annual maintenance with your HVAC specialist which ranges from $80-$100 and could save your hundreds if not thousands.
If your air conditioning system is not operating correctly or is in need of its annual maintenance to prevent potential issues, please contact us today to schedule your appointment. Do not be strand in the blasting heat of Houston, Texas summer without AC.
3036 Yale St.
Houston, TX 77018